Saturday 26 January 2008

Illustration Friday - "Tales and Legends"

My first thought on this topic was, wow, that's totally up my fantasy alley (so to speak), but then I thought, I have done a lot of fantasy style stuff recently... I guess it just depends on how you think about legends, heroes and things that inspire..

Jimi Hendrix 1942-1970


Well, this man was and still is an inspiration. He has had some TALES told about him and you cannot disagree, he was a LEGEND!

I hope I have captured something of the spirit of James Marshall in this piece...

(35mins digital sketch)

12 comments:

Rui Sousa said...

Lovely work, nice illustration!

Unknown said...

nice work ...I have a friend who is obsessed with Hendrix....

nice colour use...

Cheers,
Diana

Anonymous said...

There's something about this sketch, the pose, the colour, it's like the eye of the storm, like who Jimi was inside if you took away the manic storm that surrounded him. Very spooky, but very good.

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Really expressive and cool!

JO said...

Great legend, and wonderful portrait.

Anonymous said...

Love the bold use of color! Looks like a cross-processed photograph.

Richard Cardona said...

Can't tell if it's day or night...

nice Purple Haze on your legend.

Ellen Byrne said...

I love everything about this! From your nice outake on the subject to the gorgeous rendering! Bravo!

MIKE said...

yes jimi is the best! A nice piece too, the purple haze, and that crazed look about him, all very groovy, nice work

studio lolo said...

Wow...stunning portrait! I saw Jimi in the sixties at the Newport Jazz Festival. Yikes...dating myself here!
Thanks for the nice comment regarding my moleskine blog. Oh...A Confederacy of Dunces is my husband's all time favorite book! He buys it for everyone if they haven't read it because he won't loan out his copy :D

froggie is... said...

great job, kev! wonderful color light! he reallllly looks legendary to me here.

platitudinal said...

“I guess it just depends on how you think about legends, heroes and things that inspire..”
A legend is not always of fairy tale. I am fascinated by the bold lines and the unusual colors. They are very expressive and bodacious at the same time. (grin)