Saturday 25 July 2009

Super-Monkey

DrawerGeeks' new topic is Monkey. I've had real problems with this - I was originally going to do a monkey killing two birds with one stone - but it didn't have the quirky quality I was looking for. Then I thought "Space Monkey" but something I've seen kept creeping into my mind...

I don't really like this Super-Monkey, conceptually I think it's a bit weak - no nice puns to be had with the name Clark Kent or Kal-El... I think at some low point in the Superman franchise there may have been a Super-Monkey. I thought about doing a strip where I just spoof Superman totally but I'm not that excited about it. If it's not working, move on. So here is the best of the aborted approaches.

5 comments:

james corcoran said...

There was/is? a super monkey his name is Beppo,from Dc's silver age of super pets there was even a horse and of course many ape simian villains like Gorilla Grodd! God I'm such a geek but that aside its a rather nice monkey drawing.

matt dawson said...

If it isn't working for you then it's sense to move on. Of course you know I"d love to see this developed but don't flog a dead simian...so to speak:) Strikes me a monkey with super powers would give superman a good run for his money...can clark kent pick things up with his feet...?!

Phil Toodle said...

I like this Kev, and I think you're being a little hard on the poor fella. I'd like to see him dropped straight into a Superman comic as Clark Kent/Superman. With no hint that anyone thinks he's a monkey when he's Clark Kent (if those glasses worked for him before, why not now?) and only the 'man' replaced with 'monkey' when he's Superman. Like Garfield Minus Garfield only better, and better than Superman too, I was always a Batfan.

Emperor said...

I love the idea of simian superheroes. My initial idea for the ganesh story I do in Paragon is for Hanuman as a supersidekick to Ganesh, picture here.

More powerful primates in Marvel Apes.

dugbuddy said...

Looks so cool. I hope you have a chance to take this further. Nice one.